Stay Sustainable, Westminster – It’s Green Week!

Have you heard the news? It’s Green Week! The purpose is to dedicate this week to recognizing the ease and benefits of living sustainably on our campus. ECoS members set up a table in JCI and at the Hollywood TGIF last week, to tell people the news and hand out free pins as a reminder to stay green.

On Monday, March 17, a representative from Fresh Ideas came down and took a food waste survey to see how much food gets thrown out during the day. Statistical results are coming soon. Also, she brought good news that the dining hall will begin consistently composting starting the fall semester of 2014!

So what’s going on now?

Fraternity Recycling Competition– Who can collect the most aluminum cans to recycle? All six fraternities are signed up to participate. ECoS will deliver the cans from each house to Kingdom City to be recycled and turned into money! Whichever house contributes the most cans, will win 75% of the total pot generated by all the houses, with the remaining 25% going to ECoS. A trophy made of recycled materials will also be rewarded to the winner.

Sorority Decorating Contest– All three of sororities are competing in a week-long event where they are each given a plain white trash bin with the responsibility to decorate it however they like with an emphasis on recycling and recycling correctly. Reuse of “trash” is favorable, but any material is allowed. The bins will be turned into EcoHouse by Thursday, and anonymous ECoS members will judge which bin is best and then the winner will receive a trophy and their bin will be placed in a high traffic area on campus (if approved by Plant Operations).
Other Daily Events!

Tuesday March 18– Take a hike with us! We will be meeting in front of CSC at 2:00pm and will be taking a hike around Fulton until around 4, but you can turn around anytime you want. It’ll be a beautiful day in nature!

Wednesday March 19– Have a clue what sustainability is, or question why it is important? Then come to the “What is Sustainability?” public forum with Philosopher’s Corner and EcoHouse! It will be held in the CSC lecture hall at noon-1. Homemade treats will also be available!

Thursday March 20– Award ceremony for the fraternity and sorority competitions! Will be held up by the water fountain on the Hill, with times to be discussed later. Anyone and everyone is welcome!
Have a great Green Week WestMO!

Westminster College has implemented several sustainable and green initiatives in recent years and is proud to be a green campus.  Learn more about sustainability at Westminster.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Westminster College

This is the editorial account for Westminster College news team. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or comments.