It’s Finals Week at Westminster! To have some fun amidst the studying, we’re holding a daily trivia contest. How well do you know Westminster faculty?
The answer to Day 2’s trivia post is … Dr. Therese Miller!
Dr. Miller is the Chair of the Health and Exercise Science department. She is interested in engaging learning experiences and often includes community-based learning and Critical Thinking Performance Tasks in her teaching. Therese’s research interests are in the role of physical activity in public health and disease prevention. Her international experiences (England, Ireland, South Korea), prompted initially by course changes (esp. in Women’s Health Class) have provoked interest in multicultural health education.
Prior to joining Westminster in 2000, her professional life included clinical experiences in cardiac rehabilitation and adult fitness. She did exercise testing on Olympic swimmers in 1979 and conducted physicals on Milwaukee Brewers in 1980’s. She also worked as exercise specialist and exercise technologist at Irene Walter Johnson Rehab Institute (Barnes Hospital/ Washington University), VITAL Cardiac Laboratories, and Mount Sinai Hospital (Milwaukee, WI). She is is a certified Program Director, Exercise Specialist and Exercise Test Technologist by the American College of Sports Medicine.
Dr. Miller holds a B.S. In biology from Missouri State University (formerly Southwest Missouri State University), a M.A. in physical education from The Ohio State University, and a PhD in health and exercise sciences from the University of Missouri.
Fun facts about Dr. Miller …
- She has a dog named Pedro
- She loves musicals, esp. Sound of Music
- She hangs her laundry to dry (all year round – she learned this when in S. Korea)
- She enjoys roller skating and inline skating, plus walks, bikes, swims, and does yoga.
- She went to THE Ohio State for her Master’s (although she finds the “THE” part a bit embarrassing).
- She loves to cook, especially experimenting in the kitchen. (Korean, curry, chopping vegetables is great stress reduction!)
- She likes to sew/construct purses from men’s ties when she has time.
- She is trying to learn Spanish (Duolingo).
- She and her husband teach in ABLE (Adult Basic Literacy Education).
- She loves to spend time with family – two sons, daughter (married, with granddaughter).
How to play …
- Every day this week watch Westminster’s Facebook and Twitter accounts for facts about a Westminster professor. A new professor will be highlighted each day. Facts will be posted by 8:30 a.m.
- Post your guess for the right answer as a comment on Facebook or tweet your guess to @WestminsterMO.
- At 3 p.m. daily, we’ll draw a winner from the correct guesses and post the answer.
If you win, choose a prize from this list …
- $25 gift certificate to Westminster bookstore
- $25 gift card to Brooklyn Pizza, downtown Fulton
- $25 gift card to Beks
- Open to anyone.
- Winners will be drawn randomly from correct responses only.
- An individual’s first guess only will be accepted (cannot guess multiple times).
- An individual can only win one prize.